Consider the following medical devices:
- Patient monitor
- Hemodialysis machine
- DC shock defibrillator
- Heart lung machine
- Electrosurgical unit (ESU)
- Ultrasound imaging
- Fetal Doppler
- X-ray imaging
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Gamma knife
- Radiotherapy dose planning
- Radiation oncology dosimetry
- Hearing aid
- Bone mineral densitometry (BMD)
1. Describe clearly the theory of operation of each. The expected
number of pages per device is around two to three pages in English. Also,
provide a summary of the theory of operation for each device in one page in
2. Describe their operation in clinical use (i.e., how the
clinician uses them).
3. After a site visit, provide your comments about the problems
facing the use and maintenance of each of these devices in the local
environment. Please provide a picture of your group with the device whenever
4. Provide your comments about the technology used in each and
your possible suggestions / innovations in their respective areas.
- You are
required to submit this project in two parts: the first is due Match 1,
2008, while the second part is due three weeks after your second term finals
are over (June 2008). You can divide the list of equipment between these two
parts as you prefer (the two parts must cover all of them).
- Each part
will amount to 12.5 points in your grade.
- Number of
students in the group should include around 10 students and with a maximum
- You are
required to submit the project in electronic format (on a CD). The project
output should include a report and a 20 minute presentation for each group
to be given during the oral examination of the group. No modifications to
the report or the presentation will be allowed after the deadline.